The other night I was doing a magazine purge and noticed this quote on the binding of an issue of Real Simple:
One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats. -- Iris Murdoch
This got me thinking about treats in general, and specifically about what I tend to treat myself to. Last year, Joni Webb of Cote de Texas wrote a post about guilty pleasures. Joni's guilty pleasure is having two dozen flowers delivered from her local grocery to her home each week. I left a comment on that post with a laundry list of my guilty pleasures. Fact is, I don't feel guilty about them. I deserve them. Don't you?
Here are 10 of my guilt-free pleasures:
Note: Ina Garten often uses the word "good" to describe ingredients in her recipes. Like the other day I made an orzo salad that called for "good" feta and "good" olive oil. Get the gist, right?
- Sweets. I love candy, and cookies, and brownies too. I'm prone to candy binging after completing an especially tedious task, such as laundry. For us candy girls -- the more sugar, the better -- Easter is a very special time of year. I'm currently snacking on Starburst jelly beans. Yum! As far as cookies and brownies go, why waste calories on something meh when you can go for the gold? The Cookie Studio in town is my go-to bakery for cookies. The best brownie I've eaten lately was one I made from a Smitten Kitchen recipe. Per my friend Elizabeth, you must use "good" chocolate. The best I've bought was from the bakery at The General Muir. Do you hide sweet treats from your family? I do.
- Coffee. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house and I drink it black. That means the coffee itself has to be pretty darn "good" on its own. I buy a bag of fresh coffee at Dancing Goats every week just for moi.
- Shelter magazines (lots!).
- Pedicures. This is a year-round must have service for me. Bare feet in the pilates studio call for freshly pampered and polished toes. Natural Body is my go to for a "good" pedicure. I haven't been to any of the foot massage places yet. Do tell if know of a "good" one in town.
- Luxe linens. I like a nice crisp white cotton sheet. My favorite brand is Thomas Lee. I also like white bath towels, but have yet to find one of high quality that can be bleached. Anyone?
- Caldrea hand soaps and lotions. I included this item in my favorite things post. Basil Blue Sage is my fave.
- Lunch out with friends (w/out children) at least once a week. Happiness goddess Gretchen Rubin makes this part of her weekly routine. It does make me happy.
- Stationery. Love it. That's why I have to stay away from the Paper Source. You have to admit that it's rare and special to receive a hand-written note these days.
- Blogging and reading blogs.
What are your guilty/guilt-free pleasures whichever way you slice it?
Photo image: Pinterest