Down the rabbit hole

Via
Remember when Alice in Wonderland “burning with curiosity” chased the rabbit down a hole never considering how in the world she would get out? Well, that’s what happens to me every time I shop Etsy.com.

Known as the world’s handmade marketplace – Etsy sells handmade and vintage items, as well as arts and crafts supplies. And there is so much of it – in a good way. If you have a few minutes, check out this YouTube video.


Don't those young, idealistic entrepreneurs make you sick. Etsy founder Robert Kalin was 25 when he launched the e-commerce site. Doesn’t he look like Mark Zuckerberg? Smart guy and he’s raking in the dough. Last year, Etsy sales revenue was expected to exceed $400 million. If e-commerce existed when I was in my 20’s, I would have come up with a brilliant idea like this for sure.

Time blocking is a good strategy to use when visiting Etsy. Here are some tips from Christin of Simplified Bee. This never works for me. Perhaps you have more discipline.

Now on to some of my faves.

I’ve found some very affordable original art on Etsy. My favorite shop is goly bard – although Holly's subject matter and color palette have changed since I first purchased. A few years ago, I commissioned her to paint a set of sand dollar images for my coastal-inspired master bath. I’ve been collecting sand dollars for years – love them. In case you’re wondering, legend has it that sand dollars represent coins lost by mermaids. I think I paid $20 per print. Precut mats from Michaels and frames from the back room at Sam Flax made the for a nice display without breaking the bank. Tada!


If you are looking for a similar look, Driftwood Interiors has some coastal-themed prints, as well as florals and Ming vases at very reasonable prices. Originals are exponentially more. If Chinoiserie chic is your bag, The Pink Pagoda has prints in every size, color and style.

Remember the jute and chalk cloth party sacks I used for my Decatur Education Foundation holiday lunch last year? They came form South House Boutique. Visit the shop for other gift bags, stockings and banners.


Of course you know how much I love paper. Little Pumpkin Papers is one of my faves that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Have fun shopping Esty, and don’t forget to time block so you don’t get stuck in the hole. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Maureen! Such a treat to see your paintings so beautifully framed! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips