What's a mother to do?

Mother on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
Tis the cold and flu season. Day three of staying home with my sick child and this is how I look and feel. Okay, I don't have a baby, but that does look like my dog cruising the counter. At 5:00 pm (or earlier) I will have a drink. Until then, I'll try to remain sane.

Needless to say, I'm not too hip on motherhood today. So, I started thinking about Gretchen Rubin's mantra: the days are long but the years are short. Wow, what a coincidence, her site features an interview with Carol Strayed. You loyal followers know I'm currently reading her book Wild.

Gretchen's mantra is not going to cut it for me today. Let's take a look at what other famous people have to say about motherhood (along with my commentary, of course):

Motherhood: All love begins and ends there. (too sappy Robert)
--Robert Browning

The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children. (good point Jessica)
--Jessica Lange

Motherhood is... difficult and... rewarding. (right on Gloria, especially the difficult part)
--Gloria Estafan

All mothers are slightly insane. (J.D., you totally nailed it! Amen brother.)
--J.D. Salinger

Can you relate?

1 comment:

  1. My mother calls parenting the agony and the ecstasy. And she's right.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips