Living in legoland


When we renovated 3 years ago, we asked our architect to carve out a study space for our sons. Here's what it looks like now.


Upon closer inspection.


As you can see, not much work gets done here. It has become the home of a fraction of the Legos we own. The problem with assembling let's say the $150 Harry Potter castle is that the finished product needs a place to rest. We just don't have that kind of real estate to spare.

An aside: After agonizing over what counter surface to use, we chose dare I say: laminate. It comes in a variety of colors and is virtually indestructible -- an important consideration in this household. Not a great photo, but it looks like granite or soapstone. Faux I know.

I recently read about IKEA hackers. Do you all know about it? I found a multitude of ways to create Lego play surfaces, as well as storage, using IKEA products. Brilliant. Let's take a look at some.

This project used a wall frame and tubs with coordinating fabric curtains that blend in with the room's decor.


Look what's hiding inside:



This table is perfect for assembly, storage and display.


Don't have any floor space? Set up wall storage.


DIY blogger -- centsational girl -- made this good looking unit with the IKEA Lack table.

lego meets lack table

So as you can see, the possibilities are endless. No worries if you're not handy. You can pay someone to hack it for you. That's what I'll have to do if I can't persuade the creative geniuses across the street (you know who you are) to help me out.

Are you an IKEA hacker? Please share.

5 comments:

  1. O.M.G.! We are drowning in Legos - this is awesome! I am not an IKEA hacker but we do have two of their Trofast storage pieces just for Legos. Love this post!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tonight, before even seeing today's blog, I sat on the floor of the Big A's room & picked up miniscule Lego pieces. A happy camper I was not. Nor am I an IKEA hacker. Realistically, I don't have the appitude to become one but I LOVE these ideas! Are your neighbors for hire?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a problem I am happy to say that I do not have. However, I have to say that I am *shocked* you used laminate for the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous topic, Maureen! If I step on one more lego in the middle of the night, which you know I will, I am going to slap someone silly! Between my three boys, we have tried infinite lego options, and I think I am going to hack the white table with the storage bins underneath. I am pretty handy- I would be more than happy to come help. Again, great post! I am pinning the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Тodaу, while I wаs at work, my sisteг
    stole my apple iρad anԁ tested to see if it сan surνive а
    fortу foot droρ, juѕt sο she can be
    а youtube senѕation. My apple ipad iѕ now broken and she has 83 views.
    I knοw thiѕ is entirеly off tоpic but I had to share it with someonе!


    Аlѕo visit my homepage - premature ejaculation causes

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips