And the winners are...

It's no exaggeration when I say that I look forward to the Oscars all year. I'm a movie buff and like to see all nominees before the awards ceremony. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pack them all in this year. Of course the best part of the ceremonies is the star-studded walk down the red carpet -- a spectacle of gorgeous and hideous gowns. In my opinion, less is more.

Here are some winners in my book.

Let's start with my girl crush Gwyneth and her impeccable sense of style:

Gwyneth Paltrow at the 1999 Oscars wearing Ralph Lauren
photo image
Pretty in pink gown she wore in 1999 when she won the Oscar for Best Actress for her role in Shakespeare in Love.

photo image
Natalie Portman in a Grecian-inspired Rodarte gown (2009).


Wow me whites:

photo image
Gwyneth stole the show last year in her stunning white Tom Ford gown and cape. Head to toe perfection. This is my all-time fave.


photo image
Rooney Mara looked classy in white Givenchy last year. The Audrey Hepburn do and cherry red lips sealed the deal.


Speaking of Audrey, here she is in the simple yet elegant Givenchy gown she wore when she won the Oscar for Best Actress for her role in Roman Holiday -- one of my all-time fave movies -- in 1953. Love her!

Charlize Theron in her 
Gucci when she won the award for Best Actress for her role in Monster (2003).


Heavy metals:
Julianne Moore in a simple Versace gown accented by tiny crystals and pearls (2004).



photo image

Gwenyth donning Calvin Klein (2011).

Jessica Alba in gold Versace (2006).

Anne Hathaway in Armani (2009).

Jennifer Anniston in gold Valentio (2009).

Halle Berry in gold Phillip Bloch (2003).


Racy reds:
Nicole Kidman in the a breathtaking red Balenciaga gown (2007).


Katherine Heigly in Escada column gown (2008).

photo image

Natalie Portman in a polka-dot-red vintage (1954) Haute Couture Christian Dior gown from (2012).

photo image
Jennifer Lawrence in Calvin Klein (2011).

I started with one of my all-time favorites and will end with this one.

Julia Roberts in vintage Valentino (1982) when she won the award for Best Actress for her role in Erin Brockovich (2001).

So what do you think -- love or loathe any of these frocks? Do you have a favorite red carpet gown?

I'll be back Monday with my best and worst dressed. Be prepared to weigh with yours.

Photo images: marie claire, unless otherwise noted.

2 comments:

  1. You know I love my goop, but I didn't love that white column! I liked it better sans cape, but I just thought it was severe.

    My all time fave is the year Michelle Williams wore that almost mustard-colored gown with the deep v and the layers and the dark lipstick when she and Heath were there for brokeback. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Michelle Williams. I don't recall the gown you mention, but she always looks good.

      Delete

 
Blogging tips