Destination: Alys Beach...

I've mentioned Alys Beach in a couple of posts about my fave Rosemary Beach. Although they are next door neighbors, Alys has a completely different look and vibe. I saw an ad for it in the current issue of Garden & Gun. It aptly describes Alys as "a resort town nestled on 158 pristine acres along Florida's Gulf Coast."

Alys is one of several communities on Scenic Route 30-A. It was designed on principles of New Urbanism. Three words that come to my mind when I think of Alys are pristine, fancy and white. By white I mean, all of the Bermudan architecture is white from the homes to the shops, to the enormous 13-foot diameter urns that flank the central Gulf Green leading to the sugar white sandy beach. It is aesthetically stunning, especially if you take the time to explore it up close and personal.

Let's take a look.

 {welcome to Alys}

Most of the south side of Alys in currently under construction. North side residents have to schlep it over the highway to get to the beach. The central entrance is not too shabby once you get there, though.

{nice spot to enjoy the sunset at day's end}

{one of the urns flanking the entrance -- bath houses inside. notice the scaled pattern meant to look like a fish. the picket fence barrier shields the green from new home construction}

And, if you need to take a rest on your way to or fro -- or entertain guests -- you can relax at Palmera Park. Tres chic. I'd like to move the entire set up to my back yard.

 {love the suspended drum lighting fixture}

All of the homes and buildings were built to stand the test of time. Walls are solid white-washed concrete and concrete tiled roofs are hurricane proof. There are three types of homes at Alys: courtyard, villa and compound.

Of the handful of completed houses on the south side, this one is my fave. As you know, I have a passion for gas lanterns.


During my past several visits, I spent most of my time biking around the north side. In September, the place was deserted, so I helped myself to some major snooping. My adventure was in the late afternoon. Not the best time to take photos.

First stop the Alys Shoppe, which opened last summer. Beautiful shop. Apparel, jewelry and decor at high price points. I was in the market for a bathing suit cover up. My friend Sabrina suggested I pop in for some end-of-season markdowns. No markdowns. Expect to pay in the $200 plus range. Although I made no purchases, the sales staff was delightful. They gave me a tour, let me take photos and generously pulled out their design book and gave me sources for some lighting fixtures.

{welcome to the Alys Shoppe}


The linen drapes leading into the dressing rooms are actually a pale gray. They change color throughout the day when the sun pours in though the windows and skylights. Here they look blue. Notice the beautiful Moorish arch that mirrors the one at the front entrance. I loved all the cool hanging pendants. And, in case you missed it on your way in, the Egyptian pendant ball from snobstuff.com hanging outside.


It was at the Alys Shoppe that I first noticed the extensive use of Moorish stars around town. You all recognize that this star is an escutcheon, right?

Stars on doors...


Fountains…

{lovely railing curve}

{isn't the tiny one for the hose adorable? just goes to show that no detail is left unturned at Alys}

And, the entrance to the Fonville Press courtyard -- our next stop.


Cafe, newsstand, bookshop, wine bar and more -- it's all happening at the Fonville Press.

{pops of green and red offset all of the white}



 {i spy a water bowl and faucet --  clearly dog friendly -- always a plus in my book. pretty blue patina inside the well}

{as you can see, i'm smitten with the place}

I enjoyed sipping coffee outside while flipping through the extensive selection of shelter mags offered. It's a nice retreat if you feel like running away from home for a little while. Not that I did that, of course.

Firepit Park is another "civic space" to hang out. Shell stone pit, but of course. Sunken garden surrounded by a wall and holly hedge -- a common design used throughout the community.

{cool metal drum shade}

I spotted this lovely herb garden while nosing around. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme -- some chives and basil too!

{citrus tree in center}

{a closer look}

 {so pretty. love the weathered pots}

And yet another "urban park" -- Papillio Park. The place to go when you're feeling zen.


I think you have a flavor for Alys now. Not shown, but worth a peek are a man-made lake, a 20-acre nature preserve and trail, more parks and the hip Caliza infinity pool and restaurant. Delicious food, tranquil ambiance and spectacular roof top views. Don't miss the sunset and leave the kids at home.

Alys is without a doubt very classy. Although I saw a bunch of kids around it's probably a better place for adults IMO. Perhaps a couples or romantic getaway sans children or a girls weekend. Hint, hint. Probably not a family destination for us.

But you can be sure to find us eating...

 {charlie's donuts -- run, don't walk to get them while they last}

Mis-be-havin' at George's.


Watching movies at the amphitheatre...

{fun splash fountain for the little ones}

{adorable concessions stand!}

And the sunset over 30-A.


Namaste.

{George's of course}

1 comment:

  1. Can I transport myself there ASAP? I love the new blog format. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips